In some aspects, being a man can be hard.
The statistics show that men die younger than women. Seven years younger to be exact (73.2 versus 80.2 in Europe1). Mortality is also higher in men than in women, in many serious diseases2.
But that is not all. We men are reluctant to seek medical care. Science tells us it’s probably related to stereotypical perceptions of masculinity; that we experience ourselves as tough and independent3-5. Other reasons are feelings of embarrassment and that we lack time6,7.
If we seek medical care we often do it late. As a result, it will cause unnecessary suffering and pain. Also many of us get a poorer outcome from treatments3-5.
In these pages you will learn more about men’s health and LUTS – Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms.
1. WHO 2016. World health statistics 2016 www.who.int/gho/publications/world_health_statistics/en/
2. Pinkhasov et al. Int J Clin Pract. 2010;64:465-74
3. Banks. BMJ. 2001;323:1058-60
4. Kim. World J Mens Health. 2015;33:45-9
5. Pinkhasov et al. Int J Clin Pract. 2010;64:475-87
6. Ojewola et al. World J Mens Health. 2016;34:200-208
7. Sarma et al. J Urol. 2008;180:227-32.
©2019 ©2017 Wellspect HealthCare, a Dentsply Sirona Company. All rights reserved.